View Single Post
Old 08-03-04, 10:37 AM   #16
Repo

The television talking heads keep bringing up the same names for vice president and oddly it is the name of former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani that always comes up as a replacement for Dick Cheney. The only way that will happen is if the Iraq occupation goes so bad or Bush's poll numbers go so bad that the only way out of the funk is a fresh face on the ticket; it could happen but I wouldn't count on it...

For the Democrats the name of Hillary Clinton is always brought up, usually by Republicans hoping for a gift from God. Senator Kerry would be foolish to put the former first lady on the ticket; nothing against her she is a fine senator and a smart lady. I like her but she would defeat the purpose. Democrats are united, they all can't stand Bush; even those that voted for Nader have fallen in line behind Kerry. Many Dems are still pissed off about the last election and many others are pissed about Iraq and even more don't like the right wing actions of Bush; at the same time many Republicans are lukewarm to Bush's big spending, budget busting, big government policies. That all translates to a massive Democratic turnout on Election Day, while some Republicans stay home stewing. Many in the National Guard and military are not exactly happy with their extended stays in Iraq and might swing over to the former Vietnam vet Kerry. Having Hillary on the ticket would motivate Republicans to vote and contribute even more money to the Bush campaign and quite possibly cost Kerry the election. The only person Hillary helps being on the ticket is Bush, so the Dems would be smart to forget Hillary, no offence to the good senator but forget her...

The name often touted by the media as a good number two on the ticket is John Edwards. Somehow winning the primary of his birth state makes him qualified, that and being from the South. The television talking heads stereotype southerners as dumb bigots, as if southerners aren't smart enough to understand the issues and only vote for one of their own kind. Generally I don't think southerners vote for southerners just because they are a southerner. I do think that if Kerry named a respected proven politician from a state that last voted for Bush as his VP, that politician might be able to carry his or her own state. Bob Graham may be able to carry Florida, John Breaux may be able carry Louisiana, Harold Ford Jr. may be able to carry Tennessee but since John Edwards has never attempted reelection in North Carolina it is anyone's guess whether he could actually carry the state, never mind the South...

People vote for the president not the vice president although in times of war and according to Bush the country is at war, even though the only bombs in the country have been on the WB Network but in times of war a vice president should be qualified to become president. Guys like Dan Quayle aren't up to being picked for the Democratic vice presidential nominee, the number two on the ticket should have gravitas, besides guys like Dan Quayle are already on the top of the Republican ticket. Wesley Clark has what it takes to be vice president; he has gravitas. If General Clark was the vice president and something happened to the president, America would feel pretty secure with the general in charge. At first I wasn't sold on the good general but he fits the Kerry campaign's 'Band of Brothers' brigade. In a time of war who better to be the number two than a retired general? Clark might help swing more of the military vote towards Kerry and he has that needed qualification, he is a southerner. A Vietnam vet and the former NATO Supreme Allied Commander, yea that's the winning ticket...
Repo is offline   Reply With Quote