View Single Post
Old 03-12-03, 10:09 AM   #4
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

Question Re: Did you see this reported anywhere?

Quote:
Originally posted by honeybee
Thats just too much for me too believe. I'm sorry if I sound like a mis-informed American, but I dont believe our government would have it planned that well. I dont subscribe to conspiracy theories..it just sounds too much like a make believe movie plot.
Yeah, I know what you mean. It does sound like a Hollywood movie plot - but I guess hijacking four planes, flying two of them into two of New York's tallest buildings, and another into the Pentagon, kinda raised the bar on what could be considered impossible and what could be considered improbable.

Incidentally, I think they made a movie about a terrorist hijacking a plane and trying to crash it into the White House - I think it was called Executive Decision???? (dunno)???

As for 'conspiracy theories' - I tend to doubt many of them. I subscribe to the theory that the world's Government's are far too stupid to actually concoct (never mind keep secret) some of the plans they're alleged to have executed. What makes this a little different (if not interesting) is that we are being asked to believe that politicians are murderous, greedy, self-serving bastards that don't really give a toss about the people they're supposed to be serving - especially when it comes to lining their own pockets.

I suspect that therein lies the key: the impossible thing already happened on 11th September. The improbable thing - that elected officials chose to let it happen - probably won't be such a difficult 'next step' for some to take. I suppose that's why 'conspiracy theories' flourish - in a time with no real leaders, no real political pioneers, the cynical climate produces such 'theories'. Some will be right, others will be the bullshit that they stink of.

As for this one... I don't know. If you'd told me in August 2000 that terrorists would hijack planes and fly them into the WTC and the Pentagon, killing thousands of people, I'd have suspected that you were suffering from a mild form of psychosis (or that you were a Hollywood scriptwriter). If you were to tell me now that a number of Government officials, with vested interests, allowed such an act to happen... well, my cynicism barometer would have a hard time predicting what happened.

Bottom line: I'm not sure what weighs more - my general disbelief of 'conspiracy theories', or my mistrust of politicians. It seems they both get caught out lying.

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote