View Single Post
Old 06-08-04, 01:03 PM   #2
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Reason is an excellent mag - worth several times the $15 year subscription price. this is a great interview...the most disturbing part was his pot bust:

Quote:
One of the things going on in my mind when I wrote that note [announcing the decision to embrace political activism over lifestyle libertarianism] was that I’d just been busted for having a really trivial amount of marijuana in a checked bag under a PATRIOT Act search. I was arrested, hauled off in irons, an ugly experience. At San Francisco airport, for, like, three joints’ worth of dope.

Before the plane took off, Delta employees came on and said, Mr. Barlow, you have to step off the plane, and bring your personal effects. Then San Francisco cops arrested me. I spent the day in Redwood City in jail. It was a chilling experience. It’s happening, and happening a lot. The Transportation Security Administration is now routinely searching checked bags. They are not just looking for explosives. I’ve taken the government on, subpoenaing their training procedures and search requirements to see whether or not any attention is paid to the Fourth Amendment in these searches.

The Constitution doesn’t say anything about national security. The Fourth Amendment is the Fourth Amendment, and they’re gonna have to show me that it isn’t. Right now they are refusing to answer subpoenas. I’m trying to suppress evidence based on it being an improper search.
i have, on occasion, travelled with a small stash since 9/11, but not again you have to wonder if his very prominent name helped to trigger the search of his bags...
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote