View Single Post
Old 26-08-02, 10:51 AM   #6
alphabeater

i like hmv (it's one of the few places i know of that still sells vinyl copies of current releases).

you can find working examples of od2 shops at

www.towerrecords.co.uk
www.playlouder.com

ministry of sound offers a version of the subscription service that hmv will use here.

Quote:
Get 500 credits for only £4.99. This gives you either 500 streams, 50 downloads, or 5 burns a month.
notice 'or', not 'and'. burn once and you've used up enough credits for 100 streams, or 10 downloads.

od2's main site is here

it's ie and media player 7+ only and the format does appear to be wma. you can download 30-second clips of each track for free. wma isn't such a bad format and there are tools about to convert it to mp3 for burning purposes (including winamp2 plugins if the files play there and totalrecorder as a last resort).

if the diversity of the music offered increases and prices come down slightly (£5 per month would be good for unlimited downloads, £0.99 per track is excessive), then i might consider it. all that said, however, you get your music this way... but no community. schemes such as this could be an adequate replacement for gnutella and fasttrack, but not for opennap and other more community-oriented p2p services.
alphabeater is offline   Reply With Quote