View Single Post
Old 15-03-04, 06:24 AM   #8
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally posted by scooobiedooobie
it's very sad..sad for the lives lost in the attack, and sad for the message this election will send to al-qaeda.

i know you don't see it this way knife...but it's much more than just a "stunning upset". it's a stunning set back on the world war on terror. the terrorists have succeeded in manipulating the people of spain into electing a government that has admitted it will not persue terrorism as strongly as the encumbent.

this will only invite further attacks on the rest of europe..and if kerry is elected, the same thing will happen to the u.s.

au contraire, my fine feathered friend: prior to the bombing, polls in Spain showed as high as 90% opposition to the Spain's involvement in Iraq. what the terrorists succeeding in doing was galvanizing a record turnout from a pissed -off Spanish electorate. the new government has, in fact, stated that terrorism is their number one priority:

Quote:
Rodriguez Zapatero started his victory speech by remembering those killed in the railway bombings. "At this moment I think of the lives that were broken by terror on Thursday," he said, then asked the crowd to join him in a minute of silence.

"My most immediate priority will be to fight terrorism," he said.
what they have also said is that they are are pulling out of Iraq on June 30th if the US has not handed Iraq back to the UN or the Iraqis. unlike some people, they are capable of grasping the distinction between the war on terrorism and the war in Iraq.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote