View Single Post
Old 04-03-04, 11:16 AM   #22
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I know the belief that Christianity will naturally tend toward extreme puritanism if left unchecked is popular these days, but I also know that it's still a minority viewpoint. And you may be right, it could get out of hand if we let it, but lucky for us the Consititution won't let it. Those Muslim nations lacked the sort of separation doctrine that has become more dogmatic in the U.S. than any religion ever could, so not only were Muslim fanatics allowed to erase soverignty they were also allowed to pervert religion. But I really don't see this as a science vs. religion issue. A benign conflict between religious and scientific writings has been artificially escalated into a conflict between religious and scientific people and it has accomplised nothing because neither side is totally right.

The problem isn't that schoolchildren are taught oxymoronic theories, it's that most schoolchildren don't actually know how to identify oxymorons on their own. We're debating how we should be indoctrinating children in school, but whether we tell them that God created man or that man evolved we're wrong because indoctrination is not education. If I suggested that both doctrines be left out of the classroom then I'd have both evolutionists and creationists against me, but to be honest I think both sides are no better than tobacco companies with their 'Hook 'em while they're young' philosophy.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote