View Single Post
Old 29-04-02, 08:29 PM   #27
Mowzer
'

"yeah Ethen it is I your old friend/nemisis but I think I have grown up a little since we last met..."

I hope you have too. Must be diffrent meds? You seem a bit more stable. lol JK.

"Ethen i still would like to know about your research in skinning KaZaA.."

I trashed it all long ago when I realized what a shame kazaa was. The only thing I bothered keeping on CD was all the old p2p tech stuff.

I did have my original UI's, If I wasnt so lazy i would find the cd and grab the screen shots to post them.

"Tell me were you able to do any more with it then the current version by Yuri called KaZaAlite?"

I did not have to remove any heavy spyware, as back then the only spyware/adware were the advertising banners.

There was a hidden email section though, a in box and out box like feature. i think they were going to run a free email service to orignally. That was the only easter egg I ever found.

I just did allot of re structuring of the UI. Aswell as changing of the layouts.
There was so much crap going on at kazaa. it was seriously a waste of time. I dont know why I ever bothered posting to the forums in the first place.

Although when you came along, you did add some excitement. Your jae dog, password grabber was brilliant. I am surprised so many ended up being taken in by it. The hidden forum was also fun. As was the daily excercising of my creative flamming.

"What I'm wondering is this: the traffic menu looked basically like a bunch of squares and rectangles....were you able to do anything special with it? more non-linear like introduce some curves and better look/design or feel to it."

Yeah, i gave it an early whislter look. From when xp was under development. Wanted it to all tie in well with the new os. Turns out xp changed drastically aswell from the early beta builds, into that luna teletubbie crap.

"I see no need to flame you. I hope you feel similiarly. Water under the bridge"

Yeah, those were fun days, but since kazaa closed, so did my flame chapter on ya. I have found more nuts, such as micksie monsta here, and other places on the net. However I have gotten bored with culture jamming lately. I have closed my troll diegest/community slink. So no more need for material.

I like the misanthropics bitches style of hashing up news articles better, as a form of trolling. Aswell as making news jamming sites on CNN.

"Moving on with one other question....did you just use the resource hacker program or do you have other means that I don't know about?"

Nope, resource hacker is only good for making clones kinda like refrosearch was.

"(let's leave personal stuff out of this please. thanks)"
no worries. Like I said, a closed chapter.

"That's about all I can think of for now...Except I remember a program called Skins4all or something like that which no longer works now."

That was the web based out fit, from back awhile ago I think. I used a xml method, for the skinning, and rebuilding of the gui. Essentially kaZaA had to be stripped of its gui first, and re mapped using that forum. Similiar to the way the open source project free amp uses themeing.

I posted that to gift begging them to implement a similiar kind of themeing system, allowing the ui to be left up to the end user if they are tech savvy, or for theme developers, to produce for those who are not. I havent read up on what gift has been up too, for months now. I should go take a peak.

Your also right about the kazaa 1.4. Fast track was working on the crapy linux version, and didnt want gift to out shine it. This also is the hurdle why developing a p2p app from the kazaa program is a waste, as they can transverse the keys at any time. Rendering rouge netwrok clients useless.

One needs to develop an open source intitave for a fast rtack like network, that way it is community controlled. Simply reverse engineering the clients etc, is no good except for being able to learn and clone the exisitng fast track network.

There are a few projects around that are attempting this.

However with the installer you migh be on to something. Have you tried pooling your info with some of the other projects such as openFT?

Either way best of luck, and sorry I cannot help you out any further.

There are others here I am sure that can or would. Stopesol is one that I think understand the network pretty well. Prehaps he can also give you insight.

Eventually the good people here will all figure out some kinda napsterite spawned p2p app, and it will be a good sucess at putting p2p in the hands of the people, where it belongs.

If you timmy, get your own p2p app running my only advice is not to hire jason as your customer service rep. RE: "How dare you!" lol

Cheers, Ethen.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote