View Single Post
Old 20-07-02, 11:44 PM   #3
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Thumbs down Welcome to the dark side of P2P

Quote:
Originally posted by alphabeater

gnutella is what happens when filesharing becomes ip-to-ip instead of peer-to-peer. very few people care about anyone else on the network. they're just out for what they can get.

Human nature & P2P more than make up for strange bedfellows.

Anonimity (read: impunity), copyrighted material for free, & the wait for someone in the minority of suckers that share to leech, leech happily away...

It won't be the RIIA lawsuits, nor the ISP's cease & desist letters that will prevent free P2P from reaching critical mass any time soon.

It'll be this almost embedded human characteristic, the same that broke some of my friends back and most of mine.

Some of them tired of not being able to leech as easily as before, others tired of being leeched to death.

I, for one, uninstalled all but one program, and stopped leaving my comp on all night for others to upload.

This means 14000 less files of NOT mainstream, mostly hard to find prog music, rotated in chunks of 800-1000, to avoid choking on the other side.

Audio Galaxy (god, I'm gonna miss this one) had the best approach: 10 in, 10 out.

You still could cheat, but that required at least a partially able brain, which we all know, easily prevented a good chunk of the P2P population from doing so.

So, if someone catch me over-reading too much into the utopic side of P2P, please, but I mean PLEASE !!! send me a beautifully framed "MINORITY SUCKER" sticker.

It will be dutifully acknowledged.

spstn is offline   Reply With Quote