View Single Post
Old 30-09-03, 08:05 PM   #34
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Quote:
from page 2...
"The RIAA said an additional 861 people had signed affidavits in which they voluntarily admitted they were illegal file sharers and promised to stop. The signings are part of a RIAA amnesty program called 'Clean Slate.' However, such critics as San Francisco's digital civil rights group Electronic Frontier Foundation contend that the program is what it calls a 'trick' that offers no protection against suits by individual record labels,"
i think they might be counting each time a dialup user logs in with a different IP as a unique visitor ..
and for some that will be every few hours

Quote:
P2P United, a group representing Morpheus, Grokster, StreamCast Networks and others, has published a code of conduct "as part of an ongoing effort to legitimize file sharing, saying it has been unfairly demonized by the recording industry," washingtonpost.com reported. With the code, which will be part of the companies' next software updates, "file-sharing companies will warn their customers against illegally downloading and trading copyrighted music. They also will make it easy for users to uninstall their software and offer parents ways to prevent their kids from sharing files.
its my guess that many will stop using the mainstream p2p sharing apps...
in favor of safer new emerging p2p models..and falls in numbers will mostly be a movement of the more experienced file sharers back to irc and newsgroups or maybe to undergound VPN's ,snail mail and sneakernet...

a lot of these lost sales are contributed to the internet when i think they are over looking at how people share one store bought CD amongst bunches of friends....with a simple CD burning technology...
oh well... to do anything about that, would mean taking on too many huge rich companies ,when taking a bat to the small guy on the internet is so much easier....

these numbers as put by these record companies are totaly suspect as are their profit losses..and have been from the start..and should be independently reviewed before ever being used to back up a case in a court of law..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote