View Single Post
Old 05-04-02, 01:28 PM   #1
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows *** WARNING *** WinMx WSX files

The OpenNap server .WSX files are now appearing, some server groups are releasing their own, which is a good way to get out updated server networks.

However, already the rogue files are appearing, so be warned
always make a backup of your known good ones before trying any new ones.

Even with 50 servers, each with 3 or 4 linked, the PUBLIC.WSX file is not going to be more than 10-12 kilobytes long, this should
be your clue to a rogue file, for certain one a megabyte or more is not going to be genuine.

All WSX files are compressed with JET, and should contain NO recognisable text except the JET logo.

Edit: I did not make this clear, the WSX files are TEXT format, its the resultant OPENNAPCFG file in the WINMX folder that is compressed with JET

I have no idea if there is any security check done when these files are read in, and its not too hard to create one with garbage addresses in anyway, so attacks to the WinMx system could be
easy, and will no doubt be tried, be on your guard..

Naming format for WSX files file name MUST contain the word PUBLIC which may be followed by other identification that follows the windows filenaming convention, then the suffix .WSX added

So a WSX file for the two Napsterites server could be

PUBLIC-Napsterites.WSX or if you run a server
PUBLIC-Yourserver.WSX

Just create either manually or by loading another .WSX file and editing out the unwanted entries, then export the file as described in my previous message.

Snark.

Last edited by Snarkridden : 05-04-02 at 03:03 PM.
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote