View Single Post
Old 26-06-02, 02:26 AM   #21
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

I leave the Underground for a couple of days (work deadline and a killer heatwave), I come back.... and I find a brand new p2p app - dedicated to me

I love you guys!

Now for the nitty-gritty:

Anonymity: will that be IP bouncing?

Jack mentioned that Freenet has that, but I don't think it does. From what I remember Freenet only provides deniability: someone can still do an IP trace on something back to you, but the nature of Freenet means you can (sometimes) honestly say you didn't know the material in question was on your PC, as the program/network archived material in encrypted form 'published' by someone else. AFAIK only Filetopia has IP bouncing, and only then as an add-on, and you have to find & connect to a specific 'bouncer' to use that feature.

As the main oppression tactics of the copyright-exploiters are: 1. intimidate/attack the p2p app makers, 2. IP trace and intimidate the p2p sharers & their ISPs, IP bouncing is the way of the future in p2p.

(BTW, did you relocate to Sealand yet, AYB? you don't want to end up like AG...)

.NET vs. Java

I don't really have a clue on the various merits of each... which is exactly why my opinion on it matters!

The vast majority of potential F-U-RIAA sharers won't know either, but they will know that Java has been out for a while, is tried & tested and that they probably already have it. Do they really want to install some life-altering 'framework' just to try out one new p2p app? Prolly not.

In a few years time when .WTF is well-known and installed by default in newborn children, it won't be an issue having the app coded in .WTF. But for now, I am glad (and, yes, a little proud <sniff>) that you have chosen the Java route.

Now I just need to get my hands on your new app. Congratulations, best wishes and many happy returns on your app's 'birthday'!

And remember, folks... just say: "F U RIAA!"

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
Director of Enforcement
MediaForce, Inc.
(212) 925-9997
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote