View Single Post
Old 12-06-01, 05:37 PM   #5
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Tom9504:
In their FAQ, they say:
I think Morpheus connects to MusicCity servers to establish a list of users who are acting as search nodes... I'm unsure of that one, but I figure that's probably why all the MC servers disappeared from the OpenNap server lists after Morpheus showed up.
Yep, Music City uses its server farm as a set of 'hardwired' supernodes in the Morpheus network. That also no doubt contributes a lot to the solid and fast infrastructure of the network.

Quote:
Tom9504:
I doubt we's see the same response as with Napster of people trying to 'keep Morpheus alive'... it just hasn't been around long enough for anyone to get attached to it, and it's totally lacking in any social side, as the Nazi-moderated forums appear to have just proven.
I don't want to be too critical about them going temporarily for forum moderation as they were intially under very heavy attack from some angry OpenNap afficiandos. But they should have given up moderation already now - it is stupid of them to keep the forums in such a crippled state when they could really do with some user feedback.

Quote:
Tom9504:
MusicCity plans to set up a pay service anyway so it doesn't really matter to me at all. Am extremely buggy program like Morpheus with no 'happy memories' and no social side to speak of will almost certainly die when you start having to pay for the 'privilege' of using it. The only real advantage of Morpheus was its userbase anyway... you gotta admit, the UI is pretty bad (although not WinMX bad, just a bit bad).
I don't actually believe that they are going for a fee service - they seem to understand that it would not work. My guess is that they try to do their money through advertising.

You are dead right about 'no happy memories' with Morpheus - there is simply no social life on Morpheus to draw happy memories from. As it is, it's all about leeching 'stuff'. I take that more as a reflection of the mindset of the Kazaa developers than the MC people. What MC has in mind in social terms should become more clear when they roll out their own client. Not that I would be holding my breath though...

Quote:
Tom9504:
MC is just another Napster-style sellout now.
MC may not have sold out yet but they most likely will at some stage.

Quote:
Tom9504:
Bring on the true (free) P2P of the future, please.
Ditto on that!

- tg

Last edited by TankGirl : 12-06-01 at 05:56 PM.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote