View Single Post
Old 31-07-03, 07:52 PM   #6
scooobiedooobie

A bit of good news.....

"The recording industry's wave of subpoenas that target individual computer users has drawn the critical attention of at least one influential lawmaker on Capitol Hill.

"Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minn., who chairs the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, sent a letter to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) on Thursday that criticized its recent spate of subpoenas and asked for detailed information on how the process is working. Coleman said the RIAA may be going too far."

"In his letter, Coleman asked for several key pieces of information, including copies of all subpoenas issued, descriptions of the process that's used to obtain the subpoenas and the information used to justify them, and descriptions of any ways the RIAA was protecting the privacy of the individuals involved."

"Clearly, I do not condone illegal activity, however I am confident that there may be a more circumspect and narrowly tailored method that the RIAA could utilize to prevent substantial illegal file sharing," Coleman said. "As a former prosecutor, I know first hand the power of a subpoena, and I am concerned about the potential for abuse in the current system."

http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5058594.html
scooobiedooobie is offline   Reply With Quote