View Single Post
Old 20-11-04, 06:03 AM   #37
gregorio

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed
The term "international law" sure turns up a lot of search results for something that doesn't exist.
Okay, back to the topic. Do you honestly believe there would be any law under which Russia would be prosecuted if it chose to nuke Chechnia? The U.N. can't do anything because Russia is a permanent member of the security council.

Quote:
How could I call it hypocrisy when you say they're both committing crimes? How could you call it hypocrisy? Seems you're saying they're both subject to laws.
Yes they are both subject to laws but for the same crimes, they will not be judged in the same manner. People will forget the deeds of somebody like Al-Sarkawi fairly quickly or make up legends in which he was not as guilty as he might have been but they tend to remember the war crimes committed by a foreign soldier for a long, long time.

Quote:
That is called lying. That's some impressive bullshit twisting but it's not going to fool anyone with a trace of integrity, it'll just make you look the fool.
If I choose which truth to believe, it is not a lie. I can build my own little reality just by choosing which sources are trustworthy and which are not. In this reality, everything that I say is true and everything that you say is a lie. The only question is, whether my little reality is plausible enough to convince enough others. It's sort of an Orwellian scenario but by choosing whose stories to believe, people can change what is commonly accepted as the truth.
If I would say, there were n-thousand deaths as Al-Jazeera (or whatever other source I would come up with) reported it, you could say no, there weren't because Fox News reported something else. I would say you source isn't trustworthy, you would say mine isn't and you would have no way of proving to me and others what you believe is the truth.

Quote:
Wish they forget your support for a brutal dictator that killed millions of them.
We didn't support Saddam Hussein, the U.S. did during the cold war. We did not support the war on Iraq either because we did forsee what would happen. It's plausible, many people will believe it, ergo it's true.

Quote:
I hope getting your jollies that way keeps you from torturing puppies or whatever else you get off on.
I'm way past torturing puppies.
gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote