View Single Post
Old 18-12-05, 11:46 AM   #7
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed
I'll skip over how retarded your ideas on economics are
Thanks, I guess.

Doesn't it bother you that millions of Americans work for companies that are largely or wholy owned by foreign interests? I'm not a doomsayer, and I'm aware of the gaping holes in my logic in the above posts (and I knew I could count on you to spot them too), but you have to admit that something's been a little off about the US economy over the past couple decades.

Just a few examples:
  • The second largest auto maker in the world and and in the United States is Toyota, soon to be the largest
  • About two thirds of our oil is imported
  • The American software industry's core labor pool is now in India
  • Our biggest export is intellectual property, mostly in the form of entertainment
  • The number of American families in debt is at an all time high, as are insurance rates and taxes (remember, the last time Americans were in this type of situation they started a civil war, and prior to that, a revolution)
  • American wars have historcally boosted the economy, and yet the last two have not
Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is still the nation where jobs belong to people and not the other way around. Think about it, do you ask people 'What's your job?' or do you ask 'What's your employer's job for you'? I won't argue with a corporation's right to invest in cost effective labor, but by the same token you can't argue with a self-governing nation's right to invest in itself by making laws that prevent job-outsourcing. These multinational corporations you hold in such noble regard want to erase national borders, and indeed erase all individual claims of nationality, in persuit of their own profit margins. The vast majority of American companies don't want what the conglomerates want, but unfortunatly they don't have the capital to resist globalizing their own businesses.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote