View Single Post
Old 24-10-07, 08:32 PM   #15
naz
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts View Post
oink was not scene.

rigid mods and admin disliked scene. not necessarily philosophically but qualitatively. haughty oinksterites felt the level of scene rips beneath them.

oink was fairly strict in nearly all areas, from the type of avatar mandatory for members to the brittle moderation on the boards. it contributed frankly to a warped community and one i really couldn't participate in but hey that's england.

they were absolutely inflexible on two points however: rip q and ratio. let's just say it: rips were exemplary. yet if the rare bad one got past the gate it wasn't from looking the other way. instead blame the overwhelming success of the place. with over 1000 new adds each day it stood to reason some would slip through. even this was minor. after a 100 gig marathon i found only one album flawed, and that by a preemphasis issue in a flac encode.

in their view scene didn't cut it. it wasn't their thing. if the quality met a minimum standard, they allowed it but only just.

- js.
The moderation was way OTT, in Stalinist Russia, everyone must have a cute avatar or it's off to the gulag. Silly rule. Also, the multi-album torrents being banned last year diminished the usability for me. Previous to that I'd downloaded the top 100 albums torrents from Pitchfork (a review site) for the 70s, 80s, 90, 00s. I am still finding great great stuff from that collection, stuff I would never have researched and sourced myself. I understand it was hard to moderate from a quality POV, but hey, I missed it. The quality was terrific and I'm not looking forward to going back to incomplete albums and bad rips on slsk.
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote