Thread: Goth music
View Single Post
Old 28-04-03, 12:03 PM   #7
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

In the Goth category I don't think it can be argued that Bauhaus rule and practically invented the genre.

Bela Lugosi's Dead is certainly a classic, but you also might try Rosegarden Funeral of Sores, Hollow Hills, In the Flat Field, The Passion of Lovers, Who Killed Mr. Moonlight, She's in Parties... and, hell, just about every song they ever wrote (or covered).

I also am a big fan of Peter Murphy (ex Bauhaus lead singer with about 8 solo albums) and he pretty much carries on the tradition of the quintessential aging glam vampire. Try songs like Socrates the Python, Indigo Eyes, The Answer is Clear, Shy, Marlene Dietrich's Favourite Poem, Cuts You Up, The Sweetest Drop, Our Secret Garden, or Huuvola... or just about every song he's written. lol

Industrial is a harder genre to pick a king, but for me it would have to be Skinny Puppy. They aren't really industrial in the hardcore quasi-experimental noise sense like early bands like Throbbing Gristle or Muslim Gauze or latter day bands like some Einsterzende Neubaten, they in fact approach being sort of subpop, but for me they represent everything good about industrialism.

Try songs like (early) Smothered Hope, Ice Breaker, Sleeping Beast, or later songs like Dig It, Second Tooth, Dogshit, Testure, Hexonxonx, or Worlock. The album Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse is an absolute classic. Later projects by ex-members of the Puppy are also good, but not as consistently--Pigface, Download, Ritalin etc. The Nivek Ogre solo album OhGr - Welt is probably for me the best of post Puppy. Try Water, Cracker, Lusid, Minus or especially Pore--awesome vocal manipulations and insane levels of distortion.

As far as (any adjective here) Metal--I don't really listen to it, so I can't help you there. (Unless King Crimson's last few albums can be called metal)
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote