View Single Post
Old 04-03-02, 07:52 PM   #5
Smoketoomuch
freak

s2m pretty messed up, messed up indeed. I have this damn tendency of self reflexive thoughts. So I'm I see this post as an attempt to sublimate the libido I used to cathect my object of desire, the energy that ran the risk on turning back upon my own self - resulting in anxiety. What is interesting is that I'm not sure if I'm in at all, not at all. So what I do is post long topics and off topic remarks.

Both of your replies were enlightening indeed - cleared up some issues like scalability, node problems, the complexity of the question of technology. An interesting solution for the problem is the extended search feature of donkey, which is automatized by bot. Bot has been updated 10x in last month, resolving the issues of overloading the network. They seem to have a different approach to the problem. The global search feature can be adjusted to make a thourough or fast search, but now it is also made to stop at 100 hit to avoid overloading servers with requests. This appears to me as a good solution for the problem, since it makes sure that your search goes trough the entire network without slowing it down. Now I have 28 sources for the same download, but it aqcuired those sources gradually, and every time its on looking mode it doesn't search those servers that it already had - that's how it manages availability of multiple sources. Still remains the problem of silence about two-way (two-way was my clue regarding my new understanding of my post) connection on the part of gnutella developers.

Other thing is that I have to write about p2p in very basic terms for Vulgo (a literary and philosophical journal). That is to say, the issue of decentralization (if I count p2p as one of my addictions, then there should be at least something productive coming out of it). It appears to me that it is the material manifestation of a tendency that gained speed in second half of last century both on the fields of science and economics and the field of philosophy. (in the science I have Mandelbrot in mind and Chaos theory, Richard Gleick wrote a good book about it). In philosophy, there is an approach to language, the self, reality that parallels this development spearheaded by french philospohers. I always thought that language partly determines the way you think. There are bilingual scientists (I have a french matematician in mind but don't remember the name) who think different aspects of the same problem in different languages, as if it would be easier to resolve practical questions in english, built a structure, a hypothesis in german, and see what's wrong with it in french. I always though of french language and words as having no body - I mean, especially the spoken form, is so fluid, they have a tendency to chop the margins of every word - so no wonder that everything important in phil. in 2nd half of last sentury came from french thinkers (Derrida, Foucault, Baudrillard, Lacan for instance). I mean problematization of hierarchical structures, canonization of works, the transcendental signified, absolute truth and objectivity, and so on. However, german language is like bricks, you can built large palaces with it. English is somewhere between. I just mention this because there is something genuinly french - if such analogy between internet development and especially the tendency of decentralization and language can be drawn - in the way donkey comes up with solutions to problems. Okey, this does not rest on firm grounds, my theory of seeing recent developments in communication, copyright issues and authorship and authority as one manifestation of "deconstruction" at work is more sure. I'm damn lazy to write it actually, especially the intro to p2p, but that is no wonder considering the readers of that journal - mainly philosophers and literature lovers, many of whom I know that are barely accustomed with email and are reluctant to use the internet, seeing it as something ezoteric. Ok, rant over, won't be online for a few days probably, sorting this question of love or not to love out. Or maybe not. Because I already thought trough it, which left me only one option - there is no option but to wait how things turn out. That can be a very long time, but then, this frenzy (like all frenzies) cannot be kept up for long - probably I need sleep, that's why I was in hurry, but if I come to think of it, its just the stupidest thing I ever come up with - being overexited and writing like a machine to be able to get to bed - in the same state??? Come on s2m, how can one sleep in such a state. Nonetheless, I'll give it a try. I think. See ya.

ps. no, I don't smoke that much, it just kept accumulating and it spilled out. Not only here btw, I feel pity for my enviroment sometimes.

Last edited by Smoketoomuch : 04-03-02 at 08:18 PM.
Smoketoomuch is offline   Reply With Quote