Thread: Musical Fits
View Single Post
Old 22-01-02, 02:16 AM   #12
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramona_A_Stone

I once listened to the song Our Father God Celestial, an 11 minute, 15th century Scottish song with two cellos and female vocals (the original setting of the Lord's Prayer) continuously on a loop for three days in total darkness with no sleep.
...well, that's it ...you're definately not well ...lol I do hope that when you listened to U2, you also listened to the early stuff. For someone who's loved them the way I have in the past, I've not been too crazy about thier later stuff. However, "Boy" and "October" hit some kind of special place within me when they first came out ...which remains to this day. Especially about the time "Twilight" & "An Cat Dubh" (what the hell does that mean anyway?) start to play ...I'm gone ...then chimes in "Stories For Boys" on side two. Love it. Don't care if it's considered "not thier best" work or whatever ...to me it is. A lot of it's probably nostalgia at this point ...but I knew it was great when it was new. Back then, I listened to it a great deal, and had a "musical fit" such as being described in this thread!

Being the early '80s, a lot of bands (especially the one hit wonders on MTV ...which I very much enjoyed mind you) looked silly by comparison. U2 could be so serious and spiritual ya know ...and Bono's singing most of the time? Now that's angst!...lol ...I even very much liked and enjoyed a new performer on the scene when one night I saw this unknown gal by the name of Madonna singing "Burning Up" ...I said to myself "My God ...this girl is going to be big!" ...but I always knew U2 was "The Band". When a concert was schedueled to take place in Washington DC soon after the October album came out ...I knew I had to be there! This turned out to be an incredibly lucky affair as for some reason or another the concert was held in a "revamped" movie theater ...so it was very up close and intimate. I also managed to be allowed in with my camera with a huge lens on it. Here's a photograph I made from that night:

Dave "the Edge" Evans of U2 (click pic)

That was some night! The "War" album could be a little "cheesy" sometimes, but mostly I enjoyed the hell out of it. "The Unforgettable Fire" album is amazing and "Joshua Tree" is outstanding ...refreshingly less "theme" oriented than some of the others.

hehe ...I didn't mean to turn this into a U2 post but got carried away. Actually, I did have a bit of a fit one day not too long ago and found myself playing... The B-52's - "Planet Claire" & "Song For A Future Generation" ...over and over again ...like the whole afternoon! The video for that last song is especially fun to watch to see Cindy (the blonde) lip sync the words and at one point (though it's almost imperceptible) she's just overcome with the music and feeling good ...so happy ...she can hardly wipe the smile off her face. There's a lot of joy in that song.
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote