Thread: Ethnic music
View Single Post
Old 08-03-02, 06:23 PM   #13
Smoketoomuch
freak

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

An interesting observation Ramona! Might apply in some degree to visual arts and written word too.... the key factor being the digitizing of related information and establishing a lasting presence for it in the cyberspace.

I see an important role for P2P in this process. The millions of private computers, the Internet and the entire p2p infrastructure together form a sort of holographic cultural memory where a few dedicated individuals located in different parts of the planet are enough to guarantee the salvation and 'regeneration' of any artist's work even in extreme cases like, say, the sinking of Australia....

- tg
for both of you... I think of music as the best representation of the trend of change that takes place in thinking and writing - sometimes I think its in a more advanced state. I have one band in mind now for recommendation: Anima Sound System. They have six albums so far - I have five shared on the donkey. The first is called Anima - I am confused by categories, some of their music is deemed as dub - don't know what that means, but some songs have hungarian ethnic music elements. Later albums (while preserving that element also) move onto incorporating other ethnic elements as well, as you might guess from the titles of there albums:

Shalom
Hungarian Astronauts
Mariguana Cha Cha Cha (well, I don't know exactly which ethnic musical traits we hear here )
Gipsy Sound Clash

Transglobal Underground remixed some of their songs, on their current album they have a song featuring Asian Dub Foundation. And as far as p2p goes, they have a link to AudioGalaxy on their website...