View Single Post
Old 02-06-06, 06:37 PM   #10
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by napho
You guys sure are more radical than me. Looking at a large public tracker, I sure don't see an exchange of ideas or any noble political goal. Just folks pirating the work of others. I like to download my share and then some, but I realize that the people who create and finance this stuff have the right to protect their property.
Radical maybe, but unorthodox would be a better adjective I think. We're only radical in comparison to the copyright worshipers who are establishing the orthodox church of intellectual property. Tithing, licence fees, what's the difference? Those things are only compulsory if you believe in church dogma. But the heretics like us who believe in a higher calling see their laws for the blasphemy they really are. The point is, if they can claim to have the right to own creative works then they can effectively lay claim to our culture, and if they can claim to own their copyrights in perpetuity then they can lay claim to our future. The church has no real authority to decide who is allowed to enter heaven, and likewise the copyright cartels have no real authority to decide who gets to participate in the creative efforts of society. But the only reason we're the ones being called pirates is because we don't have the law to back up our rightful claim to moral superiority.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote