Thread: Volveran
View Single Post
Old 30-05-04, 05:56 PM   #12
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydirt
In 1998, five such individuals were arrested and tried in, of all places, Miami, Florida, despite their attorneys' requests to move the trial to a city where anti-Cuban prejudice would be less, such as Fort Lauderdale.

don't see how you can blame this one on the Bush administration tk
only by default, dd, coz they're the administration in currently in power. but you're quite correct - this case would have to have Janet Reno's fingerprints on it and cerainly the Clinton's were as guilty as anyone of perpetuating this silly Cuba bullshit. this stuff goes back to the 50's, i believe, thru Dem & GOP administrations alike....i never understood it - how one group has managed to hold US foreign policy hostage to their wishes for the last 50 years. the only thing i know for sure is that the Cuban ex-pat faction is very powerful - they give lots of money, have great lobbyists, and everyone is scared to piss them off coz the conventional wisdom is that they can make or break a candidate in Florida.

we've had an embargo against Castro for 50 years and it hasn't moved him an inch - you'd think we might think about trying something different
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote