Thread: Volveran
View Single Post
Old 30-05-04, 07:25 AM   #6
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathcliff
It goes deeper than that. More fundamental and to the point is the fact that capitalism cannot tolerate any economic or social system that makes a mockery of it's ruthless and rapacious exploitation of physical and human resources. As we sit here the US is planning on doing the same thing to China and the EU in the future. It's the old Scorched Earth Policy they took over, whole cloth, from the Nazis. BTW England ain't exactly innocent in this case either.
you give the US policy makers far too much credit, mon frer...the motivations behind our Cuba policy are not so deep or complex. it's presdential politics that drives the Cuba policy and has thru the last 25 years.

the US stands alone in their attempts to isolate Cuba politically and economically - most other countries feel the strategy of fostering economic interdependence is a far more effective way of creating a climate of change in Cuba, just as we do in China (the result of which are little fissures of capitalism and free enterprise breaking out all along it's economic seams). the difference is that there is not a strong, influential, and politically active Chinese expatriate community here in the US that can swing a key battleground state in an election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvachat
I am very disapointed(not surprised) that the american people allow thier goverment to treat a small country like cuba the way they do.
well, there you go...i agree and i feel the same about the war in Iraq (very disappointed but not surprised that the american people allow thier government to invade Iraq for no apparent reason). once again, you have our foreign policy in the hands of a very small, ideologically bent group of people pursuing a political agenda because it favors a particular constituency. the administration needs a bogeyman (be it communism or terrorism), they attach a face to it (like Saddam or Fidel), throw out a few buzz words like "freedom" and "liberty", and the US public generally will buy it - we're not famous for our long attention spans or our ablity to think these things through.

Last edited by theknife : 30-05-04 at 07:44 AM.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote