View Single Post
Old 29-05-04, 08:32 AM   #2
throwaway18
P2P Pundit

Hashes are one way. To create a hash you run your chosen hash algorithm. You can hash two lumps of data and check if the hashes match.
With a good hash algorithm the chance of two different files producing the same hash is insignificant.

I first assumed that myguido is a program to flip a bit in an mp3 causing it to have a different has value. Reading the webpage it seems that they think encryption is a magic wand. They have failed to understand that encryption is easy, crypto key management is hard and working out who to trust is very hard.

I assume their encrypted files can be decrypted by anyone with their software, in which case it's obfusdication not encryption as the key must be available to anyone. When they have very few users it's useless because people won't find muguido protected files that they want and others won't be able to deprotect the myguido files that the few users are sharing. If they get a lot of users then it's useless because the copyright enforcers will start using it.

The ability of some filesharing networks to search for data with a paticular hash is very usfull. If makes multisourcing and restarting more reliable and allows the use of verified link sites. Breaking that would be a big step back.

My conclusion based on thier webpage, not actually installing it, is that this is less usefull than using a little known network or setting up a private network with your friends.

"8-days free trial", they dont seriously expect anyone to pay for this do they?
If anyone installs this please do a adware+spybot scan before and after and let us know if you find anything.
throwaway18 is offline   Reply With Quote