View Single Post
Old 21-09-06, 01:24 PM   #12
Sinner
--------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malk-a-mite

The Huns, the Mongols, the Armies of Alexander the Great, Napoleon.
Hell the 1940 German army mainly lost to the Allies because the Allies out produced them (for ever Liberty ship they were sinking the US was producing 2 more).

Consider the Mongols were using Psy Ops centuries before the term was coined (marching the captives of the last city in front of the army to make the size of the attacking force look larger).
Or the Romans…..just to Babel….The Battle of Ctesiphon 363AD --, Julian the Apostate who was believing himself to be the next Alexander the Great, Julian had 90,000 men and sent 30,000 of them into Ctesiphon to sack the city and destroy the Persian Army, put the Persian army lead by Shapur was not there. Shapur was trying to beat the Romans back but failed to do so.The roman Army took the city very easily, losing only 70 men to the 2500 of the enemy. It was a great victory for the Romans, but Julian did not have the equipment or a plan to hold the city and wanted to push forward, he was overruled and they bagain to retreat back towards the other half of his army. The Persians caught up with them and his rear army was under heavy attack and in the battle Julian was struck with a spear. He died later that night. Jovian then became Emperor. The Roman army was deep inside Sassanid territory and Jovian had to make peace on unfavourable terms to get his troops back to a friendly territory. He gave up five Roman provinces and promised never to attack again in Armenia. One of the events atributed to the Fall of the Roman Empire.

This post is in no way on topic……..I just love Roman history and felt like posting a story.