Thread: This Is Classic
View Single Post
Old 03-11-02, 02:23 AM   #11
jaan

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: This Is Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
in the us jaan there are two or three papers that companies use for so-called inter-corporate advocacy advertising.
yeah, well, ok. however, the message seems to do a really poor job at that (ie conveying that they are really worried about filesharing), because it states quite the opposite, and contains no traces of sarcasm. they didn't even use the notorious s-word -- "stealing".

- jaan

edit: umm... i misphrased the above -- the message is of course dripping with sarcasm, but the sarcasm is directed the "wrong" way. or to put it another way, i totally fail to see how a record executive could read this ad and think "wow, these guys are really supportive of our cause!".

edit2: to put it yet another way: the fact is that, to the reader of NYT who "gets" sarcasm (admittedly, some people don't), this message reads "RS believes what the record execs are currently doing is short sighted and dead wrong". agree? so tell me how exactly getting such message to millions (?) of people would advance the anti-filesharing cause?

Last edited by jaan : 03-11-02 at 02:57 AM.
jaan is offline   Reply With Quote