Thread: Features I need
View Single Post
Old 04-06-02, 02:57 AM   #40
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnDoe345
I don't know about other broadband services but with cable (at least my cable modem service) there is a direct and noticable different in speeds depending on how much bandwidth is being used to upload. I believe it's just a weakness in the technology. I've noticed that if I allow my full upload bandwidth to be shared my speeds drop dramatically. I can literally see my download speeds climb when I decrease my upload speeds and the same thing when I go the other way. Although, I haven't tried it I assume that it would be faster or somewhat faster when you don't share at all.
TCP/IP transfers (typically used in p2p applications) generate a certain amount - say roughly 10 % - of reverse control traffic that you need to consider to have good download speeds in all circumstances. For example if you download at 30 k/s, you need about 3 k/s upstream for your own downloads. Therefore it makes sense to apply the bandwidth limiter of your p2p application to make sure that some of the upload channel is protected from the free competition of your uploaders.

In case of highly asymmetric lines like cable and satellite the limited upload bandwidth can be a real problem. Let's say your cable allows you 150 k/s downloads but your upload bandwidth is capped at 15 k/s. Should you want to utilize your full download bandwidth you would actually need your whole upload bandwidth for the reverse traffic generated. This is of course an extreme situation and would also require a source that can feed you with such a speed. Anyway, I recommend you to experiment to find a good setting for your dedicated upload bandwidth. Even a 1 k/s difference in the setting can have a drastic effect on your own download speeds in situations where you have heavy uploading going on.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote