Thread: Features I need
View Single Post
Old 31-05-02, 03:21 PM   #30
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl:

there is a need to classify peers according to their technical (bandwidth) and social (sharing behaviour) qualities and allocate bandwidth and slots accordingly. Most of it could (and should) be done automatically but we would also like to have means to shape our social p2p environment manually so that we could give a preferential treatment to our best contacts.
I think TankGirl's hit the nail on the head, so to speak! First off, I should say that I'm a 6K (uhmm...I mean 56?K) user. However I live in a developing country with only 1 phone company (which was up until recently a government monopoly & even cell-phone companies were required to use it in their infrastructure) which has great rates. I'm therefore online for more than 100 hours per week, and even though I can only d/l about 2Gb in that timeframe, I am sharing quite a few rare videos (particularly anime, which isn't broadcast here {not even DBZ!} except for 1 movie each week on UK SciFi.)

You should all realise that some people have few options, yet want to contribute to p2p communities without being penalised for it. DSL & cable are terms that cause confusion and wonder where I live! The only "broadband" options the public have are ISDN & satellite/dial-up combos (which charge exhorbitant fees PER MB!) and for most this is beyond their means. 'Preferential treatment' should be based more on ability than disability IMO
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote