View Single Post
Old 16-04-02, 05:55 AM   #28
Spikologia

Default Plan update

Thanks for all your replies and support, guys.

I have decided to rethink my idea, in order to achive a more complete plan. I will also try to show how I think this could work, considering all your replies. This is just a thought, please tell me what you think.
Also - what do you thikn, is this idea good enough for me to start posting links to this thread on other forums, so more people could give their thoughts of it?

So here it is. Our main goal should be taking FastTrack back to the times when most of its dirty tricks weren't implemented yet. This inculdes BDE and it's automatic reinstallation by KaZaA (there are rumors that KaZaA Lite tries to reinstall BDE too, though this is not confirmed. Anyways, in the next version of KaZaA, it could be pretty simple for Sharman to make sure that hacked versions like KaZaA Lite would reinstall BDE too), and the dirty ways to get rid of older, cleaner clients. We do it step-by-step - first we'll distribute a hacked version of KaZaA v1.4 without spyware (I'm starting working on this now) and promote it. The promotion should also make sure that people understand that to make this efficient, they should do their best to keep their computer on (together with the hacked v1.4 online) for as much time as possible, favorably all the time, so that even if FastTrack tries to take them down, they won't ave a chance to catch them upon login, as they're already logged (a few machines disconnecting from time to time is ok, as long as there are enough v1.4 supernodes still available). Also the promotion should advise people who insist on using v1.5, v1.5.1 or v1.6 not to download any future version newer than v1.6 (like v1.6.1 or v1.7) as they might include a mechanism to drop v1.4 off the network, just like they dropped v1.3.3s.
In case KaZaA DOES manage to drop some of the clients, using their "auto upgrade" strategy (if we promote the idea well, they shouldn't be able to this as efficiently as they did with Morpheus, and hopefully we would still have a considrable amount of v1.4s still connected to the wide FastTrack network), we quickly alert users on a dedicated websites to send in their ConnectionInfo if they have a v1.4 still running, so we can produce a fast regfix with an updated list of working supernodes. This time we will be ready for KaZaA's "attack" and will be ready to handle it. Sure, we can't be sure it would work, but I think it's worth to try. More older clients on the network means a BETTER experience for us, the users, and much less power in KaZaA's hands.

The next step is optional. We'll do it if everything goes well and KaZaA fails to remove v1.4s from the network. However, if KaZaA does have some sort of success in reomving them, we'll reconsider this step. When we beleive there are enough v1.4s on FastTrack (hopefully we could use polls on major p2p sites to find that out), we can launch a Morpheus v1.3.3 promotion. Since v1.4 connects perfectly to the wide FastTrack network as I've shown before, and probably doens't block v1.3.3 clients (this isn't proven, but likely, since v1.3.3 wasn't blocked when v1.4 came out, and probably wasn't planned to be as v1.4 was only available on KaZaA and not on Morpheus or Grokster), we can use it as a gateway between older Morpheus v1.3.3 clients and the wide FastTrack network used by current versions of KaZaA, Grokster, and iMesh. This will not only make Morpheus clients usable again, it should also let them connect to the whole FastTrack network, and not just an independent one of old clients (which can be easily infected and taken down because of the small number of users).
And why would we want people to use 1.3.3? Because it surely has less of KaZaA's tricks, and could possibly allow users to feel more safe with their p2p expereince, especially if they can use the official, not-cracked, Morpheus 1.3.3, which has no spyware to start with, as we all know. As I said this step isn't required, and we might be satisfied enough if the FastTRack network is full of v1.4 clients which KaZaA has less control of.

BTW, I've been thinking on a name for the project, website, and hacked v1.4 client This isn't very important at this point, but how about "reConnect", or maybe "reKonnect" (the K for KaZaA, of course).

Please post your thoughts!
Spikologia is offline   Reply With Quote