View Single Post
Old 27-04-05, 07:18 PM   #11
larytet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malk-a-mite
Yes WASTE has a very distinct signature.
But since the actual data is encrypted all you really get is.
NetAdmin_1 - "Look it's WASTE!"
NetAdmin_2 - "What are the transfering?"
NetAdmin_1 - "...ummm..... files?"
right. encrypted payload does not help if ISP implements traffic shaper and starts to drop the packets. generally you can not complain that your ISP drops packets of WASTE, because they can ask in turn what do you send in these packets that you reach 60GB/month traffic.

another problem with WASTE, that it gives you illusion that you are protected and this is not the case. in reality you are not signifcantly more protected than in case of DC hub with limited access. If one peer in the group is compromised the whole group (or cell if you wish) is exposed - IP addresses of all participating peers can eventually be collected.

i am not trying to tell that WASTE is bad. it has it's applications.

in my opinion WASTE for LAN is overkill. besides in LAN any node can spoof IP source. what do you need routing stuff for if you can effectivelty hide your IP address.

I understand that WASTE has only Windows based implementation, am i right ?

WASTE as a network does not exist. WASTE is divided by small groups. this is in the same time strength and weak point. The whole network is not searchable and content available is limited by files stored on the peers belonging to the group.
New content can enter the group only from outside. It means exposure of at least one peer belonging to the group.

still i am ready to accept idea that WASTE is the best application ever created. i have no problem with that. you like WASTE, you feel save when you use it ? go ahead.

i would suggest to close the discussion related to WASTE at this point. it's getting too long and is completely out of this topic issue.

Last edited by larytet : 27-04-05 at 07:30 PM.
larytet is offline   Reply With Quote