View Single Post
Old 18-02-03, 06:39 AM   #8
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
University of Cincinnati Busts 13 students for File Sharing
Search uncovers pirated movies, CDs
Amanda Heironimus

A group of UC students faces punishment by the Board of Judicial Affairs after an investigation uncovered an extensive operation of illegal downloading in the residence halls last week, according to university officials.

After searching suspected computers in the residence halls, investigators discovered significant breaches of state and federal copyright laws as well as violations of the student code of conduct, said UCit manager and UC Police Department Special Investigator Jim Downing.

dunno if anyone saw this on ZeroPaid, but here is a reply from one the 13 students:

Quote:
Oh hello,
I have come to enlighten you on what has happened regarding the latest "bust" of the 13 UC students. I am one of those students, a freshman at UC, my name is Aaron.
Oh and btw, we weren't busted for using Kazaa, we were using DC++. It is complete bull$h1t.
My nick on the private hub that UC students created for other UC students only to share on was Apollyon. I had the 2nd largest share on the hub with a total of 179 GB of music and movies shared.
Being somewhat unaware, or naive, that we were not allowed to do this or furthermore, that we were being watched like a hawk, the hub generally would get new members that would sign on then download everything that they wanted and then leave. The steady members, like myself, usually left DC++ running 24/7 becausewe had gone for over 1/2 a year with having no problems from the internet department here at UC and such.
The way that we got caught was that a VPN user who frequented the hub, took down his firewall for some god damn reason, and his connection was hacked by a member of the RIAA. The RIAA then took a "snapshot" of the members on and their file lists.
They then reported this to UC and told the president and dean of the University that the university had to do something. Then the administration offices told the University information technologies to go interrogate. I was playing the game "Mafia" late one night peacefully relaxing. Then at about 1:45 in the morning, a cadre of 2 UCit employees, 2 University policemen, and one RA knocked at my door and forced their way into my room. They then tried to intimidate and scare me into giving out more information about the hub. I held my ground, while somewhat expectantly, the computer nerds from the UC hub gave way and confessed everything because they are dickless *@$%suckers (which is how I got caught seeing as though I wasn't one of the poeple cited for copyright infringement violations by the RIAA etc). I was then forced to provide a written statement confessing my evil file sharing.
Half of my floor population is drug dealers from the ghetto of Cincinnati but yet I get the cops showing up at my door at 1:45 in the morning because I was sharing f#$@ing files for godsake. Does any1 else see the moral dilemna presented by this?
So now they have yet to give us our internet back or even try to inform any of us about what is going on, what's happening, or what is going to happen in future time. I am appalled that they have the right and power to do this. I now have big brother breathing down my neck because the system lost out on some much undeserved money which I wouldn't have paid anyway for extremely overpriced media that only goes to fatten the wallets of the corporate *@$%suckers at the top and has little if any effect on the average person. Media is the digital representation of human art. Art in all of its forms was meant to be free and created, shared, and loved by humanity openly.
Thank you,
Aaron
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/read_co...?id=02172003h#<a%20href=/php/user.php?uid=147653>havok1515</a>

while i am definitely in sympathy with this guy and deplore the gestapo tactics described in the bust, it also points out the wisdom in showing a little discretion in your file-sharing activites. leaving 179 gigs of music and movies out there 24/7 might be ill-advised in the current climate.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote