View Single Post
Old 11-07-02, 08:35 PM   #18
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

I was just thinking yesterday how vulnerable some of the current networks are. Gnutella's GWebCaches for example, could easily be shut down by the RIAA. Even FT clients like Kazaa, have supernodes preprogrammed into them on first install. Once you're connected though it's a different story, but if anyone had just installed the client they might experience connection problems. It would require major software upgrades & many potential users might get fed-up with the hassle.

I believe that a dynamic dns protocol would solve most of these problems. Together with encrypted communcations. In fact, I believe the entire internet will evolve to this model. Think of the servers/metanodes as a central pool or "ring" structure. These machines can see each other & know what content (specifically indexed & linked content from clients) is "located" (by dynamic linking) at which "server". Of course, the backbone would have to be incredibly secure & have multiple checks in place eg. authentication & intrusion/vulnerability detection, in order to prevent the total collapse of the network in unforseen circumstances (although it's more likely that specific machines would be targeted, much like with today's internet.) Every client connects to this central structure, or at least to one of its cascading sub-branches. The encrypted communications between clients are routed through the central backbone. You could upload copyrighted content, but couldn't tell to which ip/domain it was sent, as only the unhackable server knows. The same for downloads. Plus, if anyone hacked into the server it couldn't be legally used as evidence. However, it wouldn't be possible to implicate anyone, as this method could be used to publish websites (in Freenet p2p style), chat, e-mail, ftp, stream & anything else you can do on the internet today. Secure & flexible.

If only.

The only problem is if everything is untraceable, what about the potential problems caused by hackers? How do you effectively police a system designed to make personal security & privacy its priority?

These might be desirable features, but it'll take a lot of effort to imlement. I think that making this technology applicable to the entire internet, rather than just p2p, is the best way to get this implemented with gusto.
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote