View Single Post
Old 19-06-02, 11:25 AM   #36
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

twinspan (& others) brought up some excellent points:[list=1][*]Custom search categories : FTrack clients have this feature, for example video, software etc. However, they should suit your needs ie. I can add .rm to video, create a new category (using custom file-type & keyword filters) or even hide certain categories under the options. I would like the ability to have a general search view, as well as self-categorised results. For example, in Kazaa's "My Files" section, clicking on 'all' shows all your files, but 'videos' displays vids only. This is also a feature that many download managers (FlashGet, GetRight, DAP etc.) have, although I'd like this in my search results. [*]Security & virus filters : I'd like to add that it would be good to filter out most files with double-barreled extensions eg. *.mp3.vbs; *.jpg.exe etc. but you should show all extensions regardless for obvious reasons. Notable exceptions might include *.exe.zip (although if your custom search categories were well designed it shouldn't be necessary.)[*]Ease of use : FileTopia (although difficult for many to use) has a nice toggle between 'expert mode' & the basic view. Something like this could be useful for p2p junkies as well as newbies. This may sound dorky, but I think the easy mode should be educational eg. if someone tries to download an .exe, there might be a warning in a side panel (beneath the search parameters for example) about viruses, links to anti-virus resources & maybe a brief definition/tips. It's amazing how many people using computers know absolutely nothing about them! Perhaps the expert mode could have a little quiz which you must pass before tinkering with & potentially screwing up your system. [/list=1]
Quote:
Originally posted by Teclis

ībut I will develop a system that they can't block the files they had download at the program! I think thats a good idea!what do you think?
Personally, I think that this is a brilliant idea! There are always going to be fakers etc. & if you successfully integrate your 'hotlinks' feature it'll be even better!! My only concerns are that people continually move files between folders/drives/media. Will this feature allow for this & another important question is will you be able to share files from removable media (CD-r, zip drives, unmapped network drives) effortlessly? AG is the only client I've used which allows for diversity & fluctuaton in media, without having to map network drives etc.
Quote:
Originally posted by oscar

Any idea of putting in any type of ratio system in a p2p app will turn off users right from the get-go. I'm talking about non-leechers. There will always be a percentage of leechers in any network, but the majority of users do share. .
I agree with oscar 100% Ratios are very off-putting to newbies. This might be something to consider for an 'expert mode', as JohnDoe345 mentioned. Newbies should be encouraged ie. they can sit down with minimum configuration hassle & immediately begin searching & downloading. They tell their friends how cool your program is, so they d/l & install it. You have to remember that everyone was a noob at some point & that they should be made comfortable, which in turn will create more happy sharers as they learn & mature.

I can't wait to see the results!
{Edit : credit given where credit is due! }

Last edited by SA_Dave : 19-06-02 at 10:22 PM.
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote