View Single Post
Old 06-10-04, 04:36 PM   #2
thinker
Ex-Singular

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydian slip

based on album and concert ticket sales...

That's the problem. My two favorite bands rank 2 and 6, but who I prefer isn't based on album and concert sales; it's a matter of taste and musicality. There are many, many things that PF have done that I like as well. I would rather argue on a band's behalf due to these things (taste and musicality) than shite publicity. Don't misinterpret here; I say this because of the future. The bands listed in that top 10 are pretty legit from a musicality standpoint and some have had very long careers as well, which helps in the list. I fear, however, that some of today's and the recent past's subpar "artists" could have a chance of vaulting ahead one day if the industry can keep them artificially on top long enough, or as long as many stay ignorant to what really is musical and keep on with whatever the powers that be dictate. Some may say that the market will weed out the inferiors, but we are at a point where so many segments of the market have been controlled in such a manner that this may not happen the way it used to. In fact, we all really know it's already started. How will this list look in another 5, 10, or 20 years? I really think it was beneath Q to put a list like this out based merely on sales, regardless of what the results are or will be in possible future incarnations.

The reunion rumors are interesting, though, but always beware of those, no matter who or how tantalizing. Furthermore...

"Pink Floyd are rumoured to be...reuniting for a series of lucrative shows next year."

Do the shows have to be lucrative? If so, to what degree? It would seem an ill-fated way to consider such an endeavour (reunion).
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote