View Single Post
Old 04-02-02, 04:48 PM   #23
Malk-a-mite

Ok - still playing with this - and the information I have gotten from Jack.

Couple problems as I see them:
Quote:

"Member of the security group 2600 said they have been investigating this problem since coming across it on Friday."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci...00/1798095.stm

2600 Security Group?
Very unlike Emmanuel Goldstein to post a security flaw in this manner which makes me think this is from a 2600 user group.

This was given to the press and not the security community despite the fact the "discovers" don't even know what the cause of it is:
Quote:

“We’re not sure what it is that makes some Morpheus members vulnerable to this,” said the anonymous security expert. “Potentially this could make every user’s computer available to anyone who wants to have a look at it.”

Conflicting reports as to if this effects Win9X paltforms, NT based systems or all of them. The "exploit" Jack has been speaking directly of is something that would only affect NT based systems. The idea behind it is simple enough and just involves someone sharing their boot drive by mistake.

I'm still waiting for more information - such as a supernode bufferoverflow - but at the moment the method by which this has been brought forth isn't giving me much faith in this group or "exploit".

We shall see - since most of us can afford to go without filesharing for a week might as well sit back and see what happens.

*shrug*
===================
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote