View Single Post
Old 02-04-02, 11:59 AM   #12
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Default Re: My PC Belongs to ME!

Quote:
Originally posted by colinmacc
I paid for it, I paid for the hard drive, the memory, and the processor, and if "Brilliant" Digital or anybody else thinks that they've got a right to hijack my property and use it as an ad-server to annoy other users then they can go to hell.
My sentiments exactly. This company is already $54.6 million in debt andy they want to save money by using our computers to serve their content for free rather than using their own computers and bandwidth. What if these guys turn a profit? Will they still need us to do their job for them or will they buy their own ad servers and abandon us? With the pending lawsuits I'm sure they'll only use Kazaa only as long as they have to.

In the months to come they'll discover what a hassle it really is. If a small company like Napster couldn't answer to its user base of 30 million users, how will Brilliant Digital be able to handle 50 million people or more? In time they'll realize that it's much simpler to own and operate their own server farm than it is to coordinate the works of millions of freelance ad servers.

And the way I see it they're stealing a revolutionary idea and using it to make money. This network sounds a lot like Freenet in that your computer downloads, stores, and uploads unknown information without your permission or knowledge. But Freenet has a differnet philosophy, they want to promote security and anonymity for those who use the client, while Brilliant Digital wants to remain secure and anonymous from those who use their client.

And I have my concerns about the scalabilityof the network too. If you browse a web page that has a Brilliant Banner linked to it, it will send a query to Altnet for an ad, the query will filter throughout the network and each client in turn will send a response to your web browser. Imagine 10 million computers simultaneously sending a search response to your computer, it would be the biggest DDoS attack ever launched, and it would happen to every web surfer who came across a page with a Brilliant Banner on it. No way I'd let my computer be part of such a network.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote