View Single Post
Old 10-09-02, 11:40 AM   #18
pod
Bumbling idiot

Default Re: Suddenly Having Trouble Connecting To WPNP in WinMx

Quote:
Originally posted by pgs92109
I can connect to the Open Nap servers, but not WPNP. I have tried configuring WinMx to primary and secondary connections without success.

It worked fine last week, and I can't connect to WPNP whether Zone Alarm is active or shut down.

Yesterday, WinMx came out with v. 3.3. I am still running v. 3.22 and have not upgraded. I am running Windows 98.

Could it have anything to do with the new version coming out?
You think?

I don't think WinMX ever locked out versions, or even that they can. Old versions usually work, but can only talk to each other (not forward compatible). I remember back in the 2.6 beta (nad beyond) days whenever my WinMX stopped working I knew I had to download a new version, because everyone upgraded and I had no peers to connect to. Probably after a few minutes of looking it would connect to a small network, but I'd just upgrade.

The new version has some search interface improvements as well as download window simplifications. I don't recall any groundbreaking improvements. I did notice some problems; starting a download lags the interface a lot for a couple of seconds, and every 1-2 minutes there is a similar lag I notice just running normally not clicking anything, and there is a spike in network bandwidth. Maybe because I'm running as a primary node? Is it auto-refreshing the file list (all my files sit on a network drive, so this would take a few seconds)? OTOH, there is no pause when switching to the shared files tab (usually took about 30 seconds).

Still, WinMX is my favourite music getting app, but it's starting to get a little annoying, and lots of leech blocking to keep me busy.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote