View Single Post
Old 09-04-04, 07:28 PM   #6
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally posted by multi
in a recent neilsen survey
for a national poll
i favored the opposition leader before the prime-minister in prefered PM and the opposition party to the current government..

though when asked if we should pull our troops out..i had to say no, let them finish the job..

for some reason i couldnt say cut and run...

i have to agree with that ..

on the other side of the coin..i dont believe there is a lot anyone can do to stop this country falling in a state of civil war..

but you just cant pull out a situation like this gradually the remaining troops would be slaughtered

this japaneese hostage situation is starting to look like a good attention getter for these insurgents..i got a feeling we have a few other similar senarios to look forward to in iraq in the coming months..
(one of our green senators just arrived there on a fact finding mission..)

really dont know about these aid workers sometimes..how much do they really help minimize the civilian casualties..because
they certainly have become more than a nucience to military ops being right in the middle of a war like like this...i am sure they are fully warned they could be killed by iraqis or by friendly fire...but are willing to take the risk....thats big of them ..but when they get on arab television with knives at their throats...i bet the army wishes they had of got them with some freindly fire..

exiting this situation is going to be a lot trickier than vietnam ..but comparing them too much is fairly futile and serves nothing...

sadly it may need to have civil war to ever find peace...
eg. if during the US civil war if the big powers of the time banded together and invaded to stop that war when it first started signs of becoming nasty or something ..tho i think back then foregin governments opted for funding one side or the other with arms and provisions..(oh wait they still do that too.. ) dont have to give reasons why that would of never happened.. but would peace have had happend sooner or later ?

they might need to do a sneaky retreat late one night..and leave these people sort things out..because i dont think democracy is going to go in there very easy..bit like trying to install office on a palm pilot

so if the job is to install democracy by june 30 dont work...then coalition gets the sack for screwing up the contract and goes home..
or we see how much more its like vietnam 4 years from now..

the question may as well of been would you prefer a rock or a hard place..
i'm really torn on this issue, Multi....i agree that pulling out of Iraq is not an option at this point, but ask yourself this: what if you knew, right now, that this was going to go on for years? that we would be there for the next 10 or 15 years, young soldiers dying on a regular basis, day after day, year after year, billions of dollars being spent trying to mold these people into something we think they should be? does this really make any more sense than leaving now?

the June 30th deadline is an arbitrary artificial deadline set by the administration in a desperate attempt to salvage this mess before the election. clinging to this deadline is only getting more people killed at this point.

it's an infuriating situation, Multi - none of this had to happen, because we didn't have to go into Iraq in the first place. at this point, these kids are dying over there to save the President's ass.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote