View Single Post
Old 24-05-07, 04:51 PM   #1
Repo

Default Empty The Prisons Of Drug Offenders

I was thinking about thinking when I thought, man this country spends a lot on drug crimes, millions or quite possibly billions of dollars trying to enforce archaic drug laws. History has proven prohibition doesn't work. Yet the government continues to pour money into a failed system. The cost is not just in enforcing the laws but also in a penal system that has become home for those that break the drug laws. Many feel drugs should be legalized, others feel that would be detrimental to America. I have a solution to the problem. Instead of locking drug offenders up for years in prison at an astronomical cost to the taxpayers, exile them to an island to fend for themselves. I suggest Staten Island, New York. All "drug challenged" people, that's the politically correct term for a drug abuser, would be ordered to live in Staten Island. They are not locked up but free to make a living any way they can. They take their possessions and practice whatever trade they have. Legalize all drugs in Staten Island. The offenders will enjoy living in a drug community. Since drugs will be legal in Staten Island, many people will move there, leaving the rest of the country practically drug free. Not having to pay for the imprisonment of drug offenders will save the country millions of dollars. This would be a real bonus for the current residents of Staten Island. They would reap the benefits of increased property value. All the "drug challenged" people will need a place to live. It would be a real boon for the local economy. With all the pot smoking going on the fast food restaurants will be working around the clock. Staten Island would become a hot tourist destination. Instead of people vacationing in Amsterdam they could enjoy themselves in beautiful Staten Island, New York. The big benefit for the government would be taxing the drugs. Finally the government and society would make money off of the same people that have been costing taxpayers money. Everybody wins. The smell of marijuana would be like an air freshener covering the stench of the garbage dumps. America empties it's jails and Staten Island would have the potpourri aroma of success.
Repo is offline   Reply With Quote