View Single Post
Old 10-12-04, 04:41 AM   #8
ranger121
Vos vestros servate, meos mihi linquite mores.

In the UK, Blunkett appears determined to force the issue of an ID card for all citizens on the pretence of it being convenient for everybody to have one. The card will (allegedly) be acceptable for entitlement for NHS treatment (which presently free and you don't have to prove who you are to receive it); benefits (turn up at an office with name & date of birth, good enough) the police (presently name & dob will do for a search for outstanding warrants, why would they need to know anything else? If stopped and searched, and you refuse to give a credible name & dob they'll arrest you anyway..) banking and other financial transactions (huh? I shop online with my credit card: don't need ID for that.)

To quote the duffer himself:

“The ability to prove one's identity reliably is an ever-more important aspect of modern life. A national ID cards scheme will provide a 'gold standard' for doing that, protecting individuals from the modern-day crime of identity theft, protecting public services for use by those who are properly entitled to them, and helping us tackle crime, terrorism, and illegal immigration and working.”
David Blunkett, Home Secretary

ID card strategy

You won't be compelled to carry the card. The element of compulsion is unacceptable to a majority. Services that are at present available without the need to produce ID will not be affected. So why should I pay the gov £35 - £85 (price to be confirmed) for something that I'm unlikely to ever use?

Secondly, what about the large population who are in receipt of benefits, for whom £35 - £85 is a large amount of money to find? Do they get one for free?