View Single Post
Old 14-08-04, 10:27 PM   #16
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed
All the voters get is a very limited choice of people to run portions of the government; and those people invariably lie about their intentions to get elected so most voters get exactly what they don't want.

Non-voters are probably the smarter ones.
If that's how it is where you live then maybe you should consider moving away. Get out of the city and find a nice town where normal everyday people run for public office; find people that won't lie to you and join their community. Or if that seems too drastic then there's always the possibility of running for office yourself. Hell, I'd vote for you. That or get someone you already know and trust to do it. Broaden the field a little bit if you think the selection is too narrow.

There are options available to you, albed, besides giving up and just letting things happen. This is the cycle I'm hoping to convince you to break. If the non-voters really are smarter then they're exactly the people we need to participate. In my opinion, a smart and yet apathetic person is not a wise person. A little wisdom would go a long way if people just applied it to matters of government. You can rant all you like on our little forum here in the backwoods of the internet, but you're not doing anyone any favors by witholding your opinions in the only place where people actually ask for them.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote