View Single Post
Old 11-05-03, 10:25 AM   #9
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

After the way the music industry has guilt-tripped people into paying for downloads, the sound quality doesn't even matter. I think eventually they'll try raising the price and people will still pay it. I'm willing to bet that the price of each song isn't related to production, recording, and distribution of the song because compressing and hosting each track is pretty damn cheap these days. I'd guess that $.75 of the $.99 goes to licencing the AAC codec from Dolby. I can't say that I totally approve of the product or the pricing, but it's nice to see this kind of business model finally put to good use.

So here's my list of good advice that Apple's going to ignore:
  • Use EAC or some other kind of secure ripping software to eliminate gaps and noise
  • Use an open standard for compression like LAME or Ogg Vorbis to improve sound quality, increase compatibility, and reduce cost all at the same time
  • Charge less than $.25 for each track
  • Port the service to Windows with absolutely NO changes to the software
Apple's off to a good start but that doesn't mean they can't screw it up. Call me a cynic, but we've seen promising businises like this one go down the toilet before.

But I will optimistically label this venture as the next evolutionary step in the internet media business, and when video on demand becomes 'legitimate' it won't be as bad as everybody thought; maybe there is no future for DRM after all.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote