View Single Post
Old 11-04-02, 03:42 PM   #22
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

now that I think more about it, I remember getting a prompt to install 'moviedownload' or something like that (I clicked more info; they were offering stuff like Late Night Bikinis and Police Videos).

This was another time when I had MS IE's internet zone security lower than usual... and was NOT running IE when the prompt appeared.

Now that I've started browsing with Opera, I realise that download dialog boxes seem to be browser-specific: Opera & IE d/l prompts are different, and this was definitely an IE prompt box. And it never happened neither before nor after playing with IE's Internet Options security levels.

So even tho Grok seems to try this stuff on its own (even when IE itself isn't running), those settings do seem to affect its ability to auto-install stuff or do pop-ups etc, and I have never had an .exe self-install via Grok, just the one prompt.

(I went frigging paranoid today and checked with MSconfig and RegCleaner and Magellan [Windows Explorer for some reason refuses to show me most of the contents of Temporary Internet Files\ IE 5.5 Content] and all my logs; it's definitely clean from Grok-caused stuff.)
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote