View Single Post
Old 19-06-02, 12:09 AM   #33
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Quote:
Originally posted by oscar

Any idea of putting in any type of ratio system in a p2p app will turn off users right from the get-go.
I was thinking about that too. I'm not saying that an inclusion of a ratio system is the best reward system but it would be nice to create some kind of reward based system for those that share a lot.

I was also not saying that a ratio system by itself would be a good idea. I was thinking more of the ratio as a way to keep track of users that shared a lot and then allowing them to have better priority in que lines as a reward rather then using it as an anti-leeching system. Like I said before no one would have to have to upload at a ratio. What I'm saying is if some users do have a good upload to download ratio then they would get some reward for it. Although, I'm sure you will be able to do this with another system besides using a ratio.

Quote:
Originally posted by oscar
There will always be a percentage of leechers in any network, but the majority of users do share. .
Yes, I agree that there will always be users that will leech and it's impossible to expect a completely leech-free network. The percentage also varies from one program to the next. Although, I usually find a lot more sources and selection of files from programs that have some kind of anti-leeching system like edonkey and Direct Connect.

Quote:
Originally posted by Spaceboy
I think minimum share is a far better option.
For the majority of users this really isn't a good option. Users can just share fake files or their whole hard drive rather then just actual files that users would want to download. This is a common problem with Direct Connect which requires shared minimums. Also if the share minimums are too high then you'll be excluding a lot of users. Not everyone has large hard drives. This is especially true for users with laptops.

Currently I think that partial file downloads like edonkey is the fairest system. I haven't tried the karma system from Songspy, but other anti-leeching methods aren't too great for the majority of users.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote