View Single Post
Old 27-03-02, 08:32 PM   #7
assorted
WAH!

yah; dark side is pretty pretentious and hippy-bad... guess i'm on the rock too.

i can't even being to think of a best album; it's all just personal preference after all so here goes...

you'll note that most are from the late eighties to early nineties; go figure as that's my teenage-college years.

nirvana - in utero/nevermind - yep. i'm on that bandwagon.

clash - london calling - the best punk album from the period. some were more original, some more influential; and nyc started it and was way grittier; but this one is just somehow definitive.

public enemy - it takes a nation of millions - the best rap album after rap was firmly introduced. one of the first albums to introduce rap/metal (she watch channel zero) and a much cooler merger of fun, anger and politics then anything KRS-ONE has ever attempted. I'm like an old guy with rap now; I just shake my head and sigh. It's a shame California gangster crap won the rap style that took over America. NYC rap was so much cooler.

bob dylan - the freewheeling bob dylan - as folk goes; this is pretty fucking good. bob dylan was brilliant when he was a teenager/early twenties. what the hell happened?

neil young - harvest - another brilliant guy that went to shit. i can still listen to this album which says a lot.

springsteen - nebraska - one of the most depressing albums i've heard. it's hard to make an album more depressing then joy division's closer yet i think this one is. a great indictment of america; a scalding folk album. it just kicks ass.

janes addiction - nothings shocking - a much better and more rocking break out alternative album then anything by the red hot chili peppers. janes addiction up to this point were a nice merger of LA glam rock, punk and art rock. the next album drifted way too far towards art rock and perry farrell never recovered from his own ego.

joy division - closer - a pretty influential band and album. quite fun depressing stuff. the lead singer killing himself right after making it helps it's myth of course.

pixies - surfa rosa - it's either this or the repalcements as the band that trancends punk/new wave and brings "college rock" to a new level in the eighties. i vote for the pixies and this album over "ma take out the trash" by the replacements. the pixies were just more original, wittier, and flat out more creative then the sloppy, shitty rock act the replacements sound like at later listening.

radiohead - ok computer - maybe it's not a classic yet; but i think the critics are right and it will be. radiohead are taking rock in the only direction it can go: electronic. this album is one of the better mergers i've ever heard.

guns n roses - appetite for destruction - this album rocks. fuck you. it does. and sure they wouldn't exist without aerosmith. i don't care and fuck aerosmith. they didn't make appetitie for destruction. hehe.

velvet undgerground - velvet underground and nico - while the hippies were fucking off and later selling out the all black wearing anti-hippie velvet underground quietly influenced music for the next 30 years and counting. noone noticed at the time. guess everyone was too stoned riding a bandwagon and listening to donovan or something.

hehe; that's my 2 cents.

maybe in a few years i'll be putting something by fatboy slim or moby or one of the other computer geek bitches on these lists; just not yet.