View Single Post
Old 14-02-05, 02:51 PM   #17
jcmd62
Alpha Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi
maybe there will be yet again a new breed of ex-napster user that will create new underground networks of files they have resuscitated from their DRM infested corpse like state..
Since when does the format you buy your music in make you own anything more than a copy of that music. Doesn't matter whether it's BOUGHT as a cassette or as a wav file from Napster you still "own" only a copy of the original.

I'm surprised at the still futile attempt at stopping people from "saving" copies of the music they are now paying to download. This will never happen and I assumed that this whole shut down Napster and go after every grandmother and 6 year old that Downloaded a single mp3 for their Church group or Kindergarden class, was just to make p2p and piracy a pain in the ass until they could refine their Pay service, making it affordable and offering a library of digital music that will weaken the knees of the most hardened pirate.

But this inability to "keep" the music you D/L is just pathetic. I thought that was the entire reason for Napster the "pay service"??? A way for the RIAA to charge the masses for all those songs pirated. It really seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot here. You can't allow people to D/L or record songs in any format and not expect them to copy it. I thought they finally accepted that the only way to stop this new breed of piracy was to pretty much allow it and figure out how to charge you for it.

If your going to pay a monthly subscription why shouldn't you be able to make copies. Just like I can record/make a copy of any commercial free movie on HBO or any Music video from MTV, VH1 because I pay a monthly fee to change it from piracy to a business transaction. Thats what money does, makes the illegal legal. You can't steal what you pay for. This whole "pay us for it but you can only borrow it", brings back memories of court proceedings, filters and a whole lot of grief. How are they going to stop copying?

I think the new Napster is a tempting offer, but I hope when the piracy and copying is running amok they are still happy enough with that monthly fee to just turn a blind eye to it because lets face it....Nobody RENTS music, we COLLECT it and always will.
jcmd62 is offline   Reply With Quote