View Single Post
Old 13-12-03, 03:23 PM   #5
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

In such a service, carriers are probably only going to make tracks available that are popular sellers. Most likely, you won't see material from independent artists or those rare tracks you can find on p2p.

The reduced availability of music tracks that are not current and overwhelmingly popular is a major fault of the music industry. It's an industry driven by profit making practices that sell large volumes of a limited number of items - rather than please a larger customer base by selling a larger number of items at a modest price. It's easier (and more profitable to the seller) to make millions of copies of the same CD and rake folks over the coals to pay for it. It's harder to please all music fans by making a larger variety of tracks available.

Add to that the compilation CD makers that purchase rights to distribute alternate takes of a popular song by a given artist. These alternate takes are sometimes very different from the originally released track.

These problems are what got me into p2p. I do not mind paying a reasonable price for music tracks. However, if the music industry wants my money, they have to supply the tracks I want.

If the music industry would put out a quality product for a reasonable price, they would not have to complain about declining sales - excepting loss of sales due to a recessive economy.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote