View Single Post
Old 05-05-07, 02:17 PM   #94
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona_A_Stone View Post
But of course I think I know what you mean, humanitarian being more like food, clothing, shelter, aid and education and not, like, shooting and car bombs. ...But isn't that the kind of humanitarian aid you were just bemoaning? Seems like a cascade of contradictions there.
I would bemoan such aid if it turned Iraq into a welfare state but with their oil profit sharing plan I don't think that's likely. I used the word humanitarian when I probably should have used the word diplomatic, but you got what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakonix View Post
Show us ANY scientifically based evidence that the climate getting COLDER is a sign the climate is getting WARMER and you win the debate.

COLDER IS NOT WARMER, PERIOD.
Forgive Ramona for his ignorance, he isn't explaining the thermohaline circulation shutdown theory very well. A good overview of the process is available here and more details are here. What Ramona meant to say is that when large volumes of warm fresh water flow into the north Atlantic ocean the Gulf Stream flow will slow or even stop, causing regional, not global, cooling in Europe. Were this to happen northern Europe's climate would eventually be more like that of northern Canada. But most scientists agree that the likelihood of it happening is very low, even if carbon dioxide concentrations were doubled.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote