View Single Post
Old 05-05-07, 09:40 AM   #92
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Out of context:

Quote:
Enough cold fresh water flowing into the North Atlantic (a basic ramification of global warming) could cause changes in the gulf stream and other ocean currents which keep North America and Europe relatively warm and would lead to a disruption of weather patterns and, ultimately, the seasons themselves. Global warming would actually mean freakish weather and an increasingly cold climate.
The "would" follows from a "could." It is a hypothetical--but is the opinion of many scientists, the result of much research, speculation, computer simulations and models, and, given the fragility of the system and similar effects in earth's history caused by eruptions etc, it's not completely out of the question. Of course warm is not cold, but the basic transforming equation referred to is elementary and understood by the average fifth grader.

So, for the last time, while I know we are causing changes to the environment (fact), I have no evidence that global warming is either occurring or not, nor do I know what the subsequent consequences of global warming would be.

MY POINT IS THAT NEITHER DO YOU.

And yet you've just insisted, again, that it's fallacy. Seems you're willing to gamble with the future of the planet. Based on what?

Even if such 'ice age' theories are wrong and completely outrageous this does not in itself 'demonstrate' that global warming isn't occuring, nor would it indicate that all other probable results would be insignificant.

What we've established beyond a reasonable doubt that little albed's opinion about global warming isn't based on a single indicator germane to climatic research but is, as I postulated a few posts ago, based solely on his disdain of a political group he associates with the concept,

I felt this was important to make explicitly clear for my own sake because ignorant asshats much like our little albed have the potential to influence others into believing that the possibility of global warming and its consequences are nothing more than a liberal agenda, a concern only for mindless hippies and tree huggers and absurdly power mad presidential wannabees, and 'no big deal' for supposed 'rational people' who may not only arrogantly absolve themselves from concern about the issue itself, but should be ready to reject or at least deride any and all countermeasures entailing even the most subtle changes to the status quo.

This is most unfortunate as there is only one planet and we all have to live on it, even those with no respect for it.

But if such "conservative" and technological changes serve the future, regardless of whether or not the globe gets warmer or colder, we will ultimately have done the right thing to anticipate the need anyway. There are more of us every day, and the question of global warming is really just an aspect of the larger question of critical mass itself.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote