View Single Post
Old 22-07-04, 11:22 PM   #26
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathcliff
'Whatever its motivation, the Republicans' partisan assault on democracy displays a will to power unlike any seen in our country since the fire-eater secessionist movement of the 1850s that led to the creation of the southern Confederacy... The current Republican Party has no need for secessionism (although its pandering to racist Confederate sensibilities in the South has long been one of its key political weapons). What it shares with the fire-eaters is an implacable will to dominate and a combination of cynicism and contempt for our democratic constitutional procedures. This is not hard-knuckled politics as usual. It is radical and abnormal. It has already degraded American democracy. And it portends a crisis in our politics as great as any since the era of Reconstruction."
Sean Wilentz, the Dayton-Stockton Professor of History at Princeton
This is a funny coincidence, I've felt the same way about Democrats for many years. I guess this makes it my word against his then, and whose to judge which of us is right?

Listen, as long as we keep throwing these kinds of attacks at one another we're not going to get anywhere. I'm perfectly willing to conceed that Republicans are every bit as dumb as Democrats, and perfectly willing to believe that Democrats are as high minded and patriotic as Republicans. But when I read the rediculous accusation that any American wants to "install Fundamentalist Christianity as the state government, make women and minorities chattel, and wage total war against the whole world" I begin to wonder if you really want things to work out for everybody. No American wants those things to happen, period, and your continued railing against a significant number of people (as many as half of all Americans and possibly more) is not only tiresome and tactless, it's getting to be quite offensive. I mean, what are you going to accomplish by making everybody feel stupid?
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote